Saturday, May 29, 2010

24. Get some glass dishes for taking my lunch--Check


So, it may seem that I am failing miserably with goals 32 (Continue posting at least once a week on average) and 33 (Track my progress with this list) from my Birthday List, but I'm actually making some progress with some of the other goals. And in order to live up to goal number 33 (and help fulfill goal 32), I'm posting my first update.

I got some glass dishes to take my lunch to work in. Two of them are pictured above. I actually got them over a month ago--my mom gave four to me as a birthday gift. I'm loving them so far. One of my favorite things about them is that it's so easy to see what's in them. They look really pretty in the refrigerator, and I can tell at a glance what leftovers they contain. I think they'll really help prevent food waste. I actually now want to get some more, but this is a great start.  It's nice to know I'm not imbibing plastic with my lunch.

I've been trying to reduce the amount of plastic I bring into my life for a long time now, because of concerns about how it may affect our health, the effects of all the waste plastic on animals and the ecosystem, and the depletion of petroleum resources from its production. I go through periods where I'm more successful at keeping it at bay, and then I tend to backslide as I find myself busy and seduced by the convenience of plastic. I like to read  Fake Plastic Fish when I need some inspiration in this area.

I'm working on making bulk buying an ingrained habit so that I won't be so likely to slide back into buying packaged things, and I'm just generally trying to be more aware about the plastic I'm buying.  I've just started really trying to reduce the existing plastic in my house, especially in my kitchen. Michelle mentioned recently how frustrating it is that plastic is so pervasive, and I definitely know what she means.  My glass containers even have plastic lids, but plastic lidded glass seems like the best option for me. I need dishes with leak-proof lids that I can use for transporting, heating and serving my lunch. Bringing my lunch in stainless steel containers would mean transferring the food to other dishes to heat them in the microwave at work. I know myself well enough to know that would mean that I'm less likely to use them than the glass dishes I'm so enjoying.

3 comments:

  1. well, we have goals and then we have life getting in the way!

    I would LOVE to have glass dishes like yours... but... where would I put them?! wow. I have been doing some reorg. of my apartment but I can only do so much...

    however I would like this someday, perhaps when I have a different apartment and a job :) I am glad you got yours though - they are really nice looking - and a plastic lid is understandable and practical!!

    love the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found some good containers for work. It is hard to find cheap glass containers and it is always nice when you can receive them as birthday gifts :) My mom bought me a stainless steel set of cookware for Christmas because I wanted to rid our home of non-stick.

    Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been working towards this same goal!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts--I love hearing from you!